My favorite month for kids yoga is February! I use the theme of L-O-V-E all month long!
1. Love Breath-
Take a deep breath in, say LOVE when you breathe out.
2. IKEA Love Pillow Breath-
Hold this heart pillow.
Bring the arms out when you breathe in to make room for the air, and then wrap the arms around the heart when you breathe out. Visual cues like this make it easy for kids to play with their breath. You can have the kids take turns using the pillow to lead.
3. Rocking Chair pose-
- Lie on your belly.
- Bend your knees.
- Stetch your arms back to reach your feet.
- Pull your feet up to make the front of your body rounded.
- Rock back and forth like a Rocking Chair.
- Feel how open the area is around your heart- send some love to someone who needs it!
4. Partner Back Massage
- Sit on the floor, with your legs stretched out like a V.
- Have a friend sit in front of you, and they can stretch their legs out like a V too. Keep having friends sit down in the same way until you run out of friends J
- Give the person in front of you a shoulder and neck rub. You can use different techniques- lightly rub their back, gently chop (like a gentle karate chop), and then draw heart s or other shapes with the palms of your hands or your fingers.
- Note: I always have kids ask the person in front of them if it is okay to give them a back massage. If you are doing this with lots of kids, and someone doesn’t want a back rub, have them be the first one to sit down. If you are doing this with only one partner, then switch places so both have a chance to receive a massage.
5. A FREE Loving Kindness Meditation
Loving Kindness meditations are a sweet way to integrate love into yoga. Download this FREE Loving Kindness relaxation story from Imaginations here.
I hope you enjoy doing Lovey-Dovey yoga with your students or family.
Sending you lots of love,