I love celebrating Earth Day and Arbor Day in kids yoga. Here are a few of my favorite ways to incorporate a tree theme into yoga for children:
Set the tone with a mini-tree
Bring a bonsai tree to class and place it in the center of the circle to set the tone.
Plant a Tree
1. Child’s Pose
2. Give kids a spritz of water from a spray bottle
3. Sing, “Mr. Sun, sun, Mr. Golden Sun, please shine down on me.”
4. Sprout one arm and then the other.
5. Come to kneeling.
6. Come to standing.
7. Tree Pose.
Tree Freeze Dancing
Play tree-themed music. Dance when the music is on, and freeze in Tree Pose when the music is paused. Here are some songs to try:
Act out The Great Kapok Tree by Lynne Cherry
This ideas came from a YogaKids training.
1. Write the names of the characters from the book (animals and the woodchopper) onto cards. These are acting parts.
2. Read the story, and have the kids act out their part by doing the corresponding pose when their character is mentioned in the story.
3. You can also read the story first, and then have the kids act it out from memory to reinforce comprehension and retention of the story.